Research and Planning

Tuesday 25 October 2016

Techniques I Have Learnt From My Research



From my research I have learnt how and when different shots should be used. I have found out that shot reverse shot would be used in  a conversation. It allows the characters to be shown when speaking and also the view from the other person in the scene. This example shows that the shot can also be used when no one is there to build tension and add an element of surprise or fear. In my sequence I would like to use some dialogue and will be sure to use this technique to add realism to my production. Although it is a simple technique, it is vital that I execute it properly otherwise my opening will lose marks easily.



Here is an example I made-


Image result for match on action


Match on action allows a scene to progress across different setting. For example walking into a room, using several different shots of the door and handle. It is used to convey action like the video above shows. Match On Action is commonly seen in the action genre as it allows the camera to highlight props such as a gun. In coming of age films it can effectively be used to establish settings and characters quickly, for example in Breakfast Club lot's of this technique is used. In my opening I will use match on action to make the sequence seamless so the viewer can see a variety of shots.


From my months of research I have came across some less common shots. One of my favourite shots I have seen are jump shots, however they are likely to be used only once or twice in a sequence. They work particularly well in the horror genre to give a edgy viewing to convey a sense of anxiety to the audience. I may use a jump shot however  only if it can fit the sub genre of my sequence as I do not want it to look forced. In a previous task I used a jump shot and it worked well as it engaged the audience by adding tempo to the sequence.



Image result for continuity shot

The YouTube video above shows what happens if a film lacks continuity. It is very important to feature all items that have been shown in a previous shot otherwise a sequence will lack continuity. For example, in the video the characters constantly change clothing and props on the table never remain in the same place. It has shown me how important it is to check that all the background features remain the same including the public who my be in the shot. Furthermore, these simple mistakes can identify whether the production is professional or amatuer.



Image result for 180 degree rule

The 180 degree rule is vitally important if I want my opening to run smoothly and not confuse the audience as it is used in all films and TV. Similarly to the continuity shot, if I break the rule it will make my sequence look very amatuer and affect it's overall quality. However, as the video shows, you can break the rule to suggest to the audience something isn't right which makes them feel anxious and uncertain.
A series of fast shots are used in many sequences to add tempo and convey action to the viewer. When watching many shots in a short space of time its implies urgency and also danger to a potential protagonist. Films like James Bond will use this to make the combat more realistic and show the danger the character is in. Similarly, in my sequence I could use fast shots to quickly introduce characters and reveal the narrative to the demographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment